Matte Stephens

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 | |




Matte Stephens is a painter based out of Portland. Connections to design work of the fifties and sixties are obvious. This is because he lists Charles and Ray Eames and George Nelson as major influences. I'm always drawn to the color palettes he works with as well as the personality brought through in all his pieces. And I love the expressive teardrop shapes he consistently uses. Plus, I really love the spelling of his name.

Blog: his blog
Matte Stephens: homepage
Matte Stephens Interview: a really great interview from Grain Edit

2 comments:

caroline said...

Krista you are so great at finding awesome artists! I really enjoy Stephens use of color; with that retro pallet he speaks to so many generations and calls to mind memories of the past. His eye for detail is apparent in his work as he seems to know when a piece has just enough!

ReMeyers86 said...

Thanks for posting this! I've seen his art before (or at least something insanely similar, though I bet it's the same guy) and really enjoyed it. I never got around to finding his name but enjoyed the fun images and interesting use of color. You don't see those color used often and many probably wouldn't think they'd work well, but he makes them look awesome!